VIDEO HOW TO: Discover hidden power in 12 NEW FrameMaker 12 templates
We recently hosted a webinar that did a deep dive on potent FrameMaker feature combinations that are heavily leveraged in the 12 new templates bundled in English versions of FrameMaker 12. Our guest was Bernard Aschwanden of Publishing Smarter, who developed the templates. This blog summarizes highlights of the recorded webinar, provides you with a link to view the webinar, and also also provides you with a timeline to jump forward to areas of interest in the recording.
Why are the new FrameMaker templates better?
The new templates can be fleshed out with “show sample”, and realistic English content is provided, vs. “Latin” filler text
- New sample content for templates includes markers and cross-references of all types as well as rich media
- Templates were designed to realistically resemble 3 typical tech comm projects:
- Reference Card
- Parts Catalog
- User Guide
- New template layout and styles were designed to provide optimal publishing to Print/PDF or any of the 5 online formats (e.g. ePub) newly supported by FrameMaker 12
- Intelligent use of the Reference Page enables sophisticated global changes to graphics
- Advanced techniques were used to achieve colored “box” backgrounds in newly available paragraph styles
- Style names were intelligently named with a 2-character mneumonic ata beginning of name to provide easy access via keyboard shortcuts in “smart catalogs’
- All 12 of the new templates use identical names for paragraph, character, table formats and object styles, so information can be easily exchanged between the 3 types of projects.
View the webinar recording for yourself!
You may view the webinar recording by clicking on this link: FrameMaker 12 Feature Focus 2): 12 New Templates with Hidden Power!
Timeline for key concepts in the webinar recording
For your convenience, we have provided a timeline below with hour/minute/second locations you may fast forward to for key concepts:
08:50 = location of templates and relevant sample files
14:30 = location of Reference Card Instructions
16:15 = viewing new samples on “Create New Document” … “Explore Templates”
17:10 = Creating a new Reference Card
19:30 = Default template custom color names
22:20 = template values for conditional text control
25:30 = working with Object Properties to globally change facets in sample graphics
28:00 = the logic of new paragraph style names
29:00 = exchanging content between templates, and restoring proper formatting
(consistent naming conventions)
32:00 = the logics of background colors for text and entire paragraphs
(designed to work well in on-line publishing)
34:30 = using online instruction files to remember how to change Heading background color
38:00 = example of creating new project from an “empty” template
47:00 = why 2-steps to changing background color to “caution box” paragraph styles
48:50 = Master Pages in one template
51:00 = working with oversized graphics
52:00 = creating hyperlink jumps from graphics to parts information
55:50 = template instructions indicate how to assign landscape master page styles to specific paragraph styles
Try out the new FrameMaker 12 templates for yourself!
If you like what you see in this webinar recording, why not try out FrameMaker 12 for yourself! Go to our “2 ways to Try” landing page to test out FrameMaker.