It’s Up, Up, And Digital Marketing Away For Norwegian Air
A marketing campaign comprised of emojis? Nothing is off-limits for CMO Stine Borke, who, in this week’s Marketing Superstars podcast, explains why her marketing strategy is digital “all the way.”
A marketing campaign comprised of emojis? Nothing is off-limits for CMO Stine (pronounced “Steena”) Borke, who for the past five years has been charged with promoting the Norwegian Air brand.
“We were challenged on how to promote to teenagers and young people,” she said. “So our team in Copenhagen came up with this idea.”
As a value-based carrier, Borke and her team have to be creative. “It would be impossible to build a brand just by traditional advertising; that would be way too expensive. At the core of our marketing strategy, it’s digital—all the way,” she said.
As Borke explained, a strong marketing campaign starts with great content. “Content is king,” she said, quickly adding, “but distribution is queen.”
Highlights from our conversation also include:
- Norwegian’s trick to performance marketing (2:46)
- Whether SEO works (4:35)
- Devising a content marketing strategy (7:10)
- How customer service impacts brand (9:40)
- Blending old and new into the marketing mix (11:45)
- How a “getting married via social media” campaign drove the brand (14:45)
- Opening a new market (21:15)