Hidden Gems in Acrobat DC: Search & Remove Sensitive Information
by Document Cloud Team
posted on 05-26-2016
Employment applications, medical forms, tax audits, and many government documents contain confidential information that needs to be safeguarded. But in a paperless office, sharpies are a thing of the past. So how can you protect personal information before distributing it to others?
The redaction tool in Acrobat Pro DC is designed to permanently remove sensitive information —all while keeping the entire workflow digital. Plus, you can use patterns (i.e., social security numbers) to quickly locate and remove confidential information.
Prepare for the redaction process
- Copy the document to be redacted to a new folder.
- Convert scanned images into searchable text using the Recognize Text command.
- Review and identify the type of information that needs to be redacted (i.e., social security or credit card numbers).
Start the redaction process
In this example, we’ll quickly locate a specific text pattern, like a social security number, and remove it.
Select Redact from the Tools Center.
Choose Find Text from the Mark for Redaction dropdown.
- In the Search dialog, select the “Patterns” radio button and choose Social Security Numbers from the dropdown. Select Search & Remove Text.
- Confirm the results and then select Check All in the Search dialog.
- Select Mark Checked Results for Redaction in the Search dialog to place the markups your document.
- Review all marked redactions and select Apply from the toolbar to permanently remove the information.
- Save your file to apply all the redactions.
Think you know everything there is to know about Acrobat DC? Think again! Learn about more hidden gems by taking a look at the “Learn” section of our blog.
Not yet an Acrobat DC user? Sign up for our free trial.
Products: Acrobat, Document Cloud