15 Mind-Blowing Stats About Sponsored Content
Sponsored content has become a popular—and effective—choice for advertisers seeking alternatives to banner ads.
Approximately 30% of Internet users say they find traditional banner advertising distracting and will actively avoid sites where the ads interfere too much with content.
- Despite demographic and content differences, business and entertainment news users are highly receptive to in-feed sponsored content if it is relevant, authoritative, and trustworthy.
- Sponsored content is viewed by nearly half of business and entertainment audiences as enhancing the value of the overall website experience.
- Seventy percent of individuals want to learn about products through content rather than through traditional advertising.
- People view native ads 53% more than banner ads.
- Native advertising generates 82% brand lift.
- Seventy-one percent of publishers received no major complaints from readers for featuring sponsored content.
- The majority of readers, 54%, don’t trust sponsored content.
- One study found that 57% of readers said they’d prefer their favorite blogs and news sites run banner ads instead of sponsored articles.
- Three-quarters of publishers and media buyers alike have embraced sponsored articles. And there’s no secret to its recent success: 25% more consumers looked at sponsored articles than display ad units, and native ads have been found to produce 18% higher lift in purchase intent and 9% higher lift for brand affinity than banner ads.
- Native advertising spend is expected to more than quadruple by 2018.
- Sponsored content has been said to be a possible antidote to ad blocking, which cost publishers more than $22 billion in lost revenue last year.
- The Atlantic says that 60% of its revenue is today generated through sponsored content.
- On average, consumers spend almost two-and-a-half minutes with a branded story—the same amount as editorial content.
- Almost three-quarters of marketers (72%) think that branded content is more effective than magazine advertisements.
- Fifty-one percent of local news sites that sell advertising said they are now selling native advertising or sponsored content, compared with about 20% a year earlier.
Take our poll: