Jeff Wurtzel Unwraps The Details About Extra Gum’s Winning Ad Campaign
“There are so many ways [brands] can entertain and reach and inform … and the opportunity to connect is huge,” says the Mars/Wrigley senior brand manager.
by CMO.com Staff
Posted on 08-23-2017
As part of an ongoing series of conversations with 2017 Effie-winning marketers, I spoke with Jeff Wurtzel, senior brand manager at Mars/Wrigley, who oversees the Extra Gum brand. Naturally we discussed Extra Gum’s “Unwrapping A Love Story” campaign—everything including the key insight, music choice, and steps and surprises Wurtzel’s team faced along the way.
In the course of the interview, Wurtzel identified two elements that are critical to the success of a brand: the ability to entertain and an eye ever-focused on the future. “There are so many ways [brands] can entertain and reach and inform … and the opportunity to connect is huge,” Wurtzel said. “When you do it right, you can be so highly effective.”
As for his eye on the future, Wurtzel opined, “I think [consumers] will reward the companies that have the smartest vision and mission and level of transparency … and I think that consumers, with the power that they have, will continue to ask for it.”
Highlights from this week’s “Marketing Today” podcast include:
- You have to give to get: Wurtzel on the key insight of the “Unwrapping A Love Story” campaign. (1:33)
- Why the campaign was a high-velocity super smash hit. (4:07)
- The power of authenticity. (5:02)
- The proverbial sweet spot: A universal insight that appealed to everyone. (7:04)
- The two elements in an effective marketing mix. (8:43)
- How to treat people the right way—with respect. (10:06)
- That’s entertainment! The biggest opportunity for marketers today. (13:03)
Topics: , CMO by Adobe