Apply To Be A 2018 Adobe Creative Resident
2017 Creative Residents at Letterform Archive
by Julia Tian
posted on 01-22-2018
The Adobe Creative Residency program gives talented individuals a year to work on a personal creative project, while sharing their process with the community. Residents apply new ideas and tools to their work and inspire others to try new methods. Adobe provides residents with the best creative tools and resources, along with guidance from advisors and a complete compensation package. Ideal candidates are in the early stage of their career and prepared to make the Creative Residency their professional focus for one year.
We are excited to announce that applications for the 2018 Creative Residency program year are now open through Feb 25. Start preparing your application now with the following steps.
Read this blog post.
- Bookmark this page for your reference. Here, we link you to a great application example, best practices guides, and articles from this year’s residents to help you prep your best application.
Craft your project idea.
- Take the time to craft a strong project proposal and prepare supporting materials that show your work and support your proposal as this makes up the bulk of your application.
Fill out the application form.
- You should be able to walk through your entire application before filling in the submission form. The online form does not let you save a draft so make sure everything is written down and saved beforehand.
Who can apply
The Adobe Creative Residency is building upon the success of its first three years and expanding in 2018. For the upcoming program year, we will accept applications from residents of the United States, Canada, Germany, and the United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland). It will be the first year the Creative Residency is open to candidates in the U.K. and we plan to continue expanding the program internationally in the future.
For 2018, we have a focus on the following fields:
- Digital drawing and painting
- Graphic design (digital and print)
- UI/UX design
- Short form online video
The Creative Residency program aims to provide a diverse range of creative viewpoints, backgrounds, and experiences, so even if your area of interest is not in one of the fields above, we still encourage you to apply.
Preparing your application
If you are thinking of applying to the Creative Residency program, take the time to follow the steps at the beginning above. Use your creative strengths to craft a visually compelling project proposal and application. The application materials are your medium to communicate your process, vision, and style. One good example is Resident Rosa Kammermeier’s supporting visual documentation in her application that capitalized on her artistic and organizational strengths.
The factors considered when selecting Residents include your project proposal, previous creative work, flexibility in trying new things, past work experiences, and willingness to take on new challenges. Here are the kinds of questions you should be prepared to answer in the application.
- Your project, including your goals of what you want to accomplish
- How this project builds off of your previous work
- Which creative tools you will use
- Your work flow for the project
- How you plan to share your project with the creative community
- What you want the creative community to learn from your project
- Your long term career goals and how the residency will help you achieve them
While preparing your answers, please select three past projects you’d like to share with us along with links to your online portfolio and/or Behance page. Behance projects from our current residents — Jessica Bellamy, Aundre Larrow, and Rosa Kammermeier — are good examples to use as a guide for how to prepare your application. For insight into what makes a good application, refer to the Adobe Create Blog post.
Good luck! We look forward to reviewing your application and hope to meet you soon.
If you have any other questions that were not answered above, please reference our FAQ page.
Products: After Effects, InDesign, Lightroom, Photoshop, Creative Cloud