India Now Second-Largest Internet Market, Meeker’s Annual Report Reveals
Mary Meeker, partner at Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, has released her annual “Internet Trends” report. Here are her findings.
Mary Meeker, partner at Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, presented her much-anticipated annual “Internet Trends” report on Wednesday at the Code Conference, “an invitation-only event where top industry influencers gather for in-depth conversations about the current and future impact of digital technology.”
The 2016 report covers today’s Internet growth. Among the highlights:
- Global Internet users have surpassed 3 billion; India has supplanted the U.S. as the world’s second-largest Internet market.
- Internet user growth remains consistent, while smartphone user and shipment growth have slowed.
- Internet advertising (particularly via mobile) continues to grow, but so does ad blocking, pushing the envelope on development of more innovative ad formats.
- New online-first brands have rapidly grown in popularity for the millennial generation, with their focus on omnichannel and personalized distribution strategies.
- In communication, video and images shared are growing as a means of storytelling; creators, consumers, and advertisers are taking part.
- Messaging has evolved from simple, expressive conversation to business-focused use cases, with Asian platforms often leading the way.
- More efficient and often more convenient than typing, voice-based interfaces are ramping quickly and creating a new paradigm for human-computer interaction.
- The proliferation of data generated by a multitude of devices has fostered tremendous business opportunity, but privacy concerns abound.